How are books arranged in the library? How do I find a book on the shelf?
The library uses the Library of Congress Classification system. The books are organized by subject so you can browse the shelves and find books on a similar subject together.
- Call numbers that begin with A thru Z are on the 3rd floor (except for P)
- Call numbers that begin with P are on the 1st floor basement level.
- Call numbers that start with N are in the quiet study area to the right at the top of the stairs to the 3rd floor.
- Call numbers that start with JUV are in the Children's Room on the 1st floor basement level.
- Call numbers with REF are on the main floor.
- Magazines, journals, microfilm, newspapers and DVDs are all on the main floor.
- Electronic books and videos do not have call numbers. They have links to the book or video.
Here are examples from the catalog and from Search Everything. The call number is highlighted. This is the number you would right down and bring the the shelves to look for the book. On the book it is displayed as: